RAMALLAH, West Bank (AP) — Palestinian authorities said that Israeli police have shot and killed a Palestinian man as he attempted to climb the concrete barrier separating the occupied West Bank from Jerusalem.

Read more FDA chief’s resignation widens a leadership gap at the nation’s health department

The Palestinian Health Ministry and the Palestinian Red Crescent identified the man as Zakaria Qatusa, 44, from the town of Deir Qadis, about 13 miles northwest of the site of the shooting Tuesday evening in the West Bank town of Al-Ram, which abuts the wall.

Israeli police didn’t immediately respond to queries about the shooting. The funeral for the man was held on Wednesday.

Khalid Qatusa, his brother, said that he was a father of four who was crossing the wall in order to work in Israel.

  • Children cry while they take the last look at the...
    Children cry while they take the last look at the body of Palestinian Zakaria Qatousa, during his funeral in the West Bank town of Deir Qaddis Wednesday, May 13, 2026. (AP Photo/Mahmoud Illean)
  • Mourners carry the body of Yousef Ka’abnah, 16, who was...
    Mourners carry the body of Yousef Ka’abnah, 16, who was killed by Israeli army fire earlier today, during his funeral in West Bank village of al-Lubban al-Sharqiya, Wednesday, May 13, 2026. (AP Photo/Majdi Mohammed)
  • Mourners carry the body of Palestinian Zakaria Qatousa, during his...
    Mourners carry the body of Palestinian Zakaria Qatousa, during his funeral in the West Bank town of Deir Qaddis Wednesday, May 13, 2026. (AP Photo/Mahmoud Illean)
Children cry while they take the last look at the body of Palestinian Zakaria Qatousa, during his funeral in the West Bank town of Deir Qaddis Wednesday, May 13, 2026. (AP Photo/Mahmoud Illean)
Expand

“He was forced to resort to this method as there was no other opportunity to meet the needs of his household and live a dignified life. This was the only way,” he said. “He was neither an aggressor nor a threat.”

Read more Russia fires about 800 drones at Ukraine despite recent talk by Putin and Trump of possible peace

An increasing number of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank have attempted to enter Israel illegally to work in recent years. Before the Israel-Hamas war, tens of thousands of Palestinians held permits to work in Israel, but access was sharply restricted after the attack by Hamas on southern Israel on Oct. 7, 2023.

Since then, unemployment has surged amid a deep economic slowdown and a shortage of jobs in the West Bank. Other shootings have taken place at the same location separating the West Bank town of Al-Ram from Beit Hanina, an east Jerusalem neighborhood.

As of May 11, at least 47 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces or settlers, according to the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

Read more Memphis residents claim harassment, arrest and abuse by Trump-ordered Memphis Safe Task Force

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *